Monday, November 19, 2012

WWE Survivor Series 2012

Trying something new here, gonna try to review whatever pop culture events I become aware of when I see them, and since my work schedule is crazy and I don't have time for tv, it is pretty much limited to video games I play, movies I watch, and WWE Pay Per Views.  I've already explored the concept with my Pokemon updates (dubbed Pokeymans as a joke), and further with my brief review of Skyfall.  While I'm trying to nail down format, I know I can do wrestling pretty good due to my note taking.  I'm not doing a move by move breakdown of every match, but I'll hit the important points, and opine as to what my feelings were towards the match.  I will also freely admit that while I like certain guys whether they are heel or face, I find heels more interesting, since they have more nuance and depth.  A good heel is a beautiful thing to watch, the way they can bait the crowd and push buttons to generate massive heat is a wonderful thing to behold.  CM Punk, for example, is a great heel, his Straight Edge Society was incredible, and his current title run is great, the way he and Paul Heyman work off each other.  Another prime example of a great heel is Daniel Bryan, sure he is treated like a face now, but I remember a Smackdown in late January that was held in Omaha, which I managed to attend.  During that show, Bryan was World Champion, and was feuding with Big Show (still face at the time), and cut a promo in the ring that told everyone to be more like him and to be vegan... in Omaha, Nebraska... known for its world class beef.  The crowd reaction was great, although nowhere near the reaction he gets now following his screwing at Wrestlemania, and the subsequent Yes! and No! chants that are almost deafening with a great crowd.  Well, I guess I better get to my review of Survivor Series.

First match was a Survivor Series elimination match featuring the Prime Time Players (Titus O'neill and Darren Young) Primo & Epico, and Tensai Vs. Brodus Clay, Justin Gabriel, Tyson Kidd, Rey Mysterio, and Sin Cara.  Brodus Clay was eliminated first by Tensai, then the face team went on a five elimination streak to win the match 4-0. Tensai was eliminated by Justin Gabriel, Titus O'neill and Epico were eliminated by Tyson Kidd, and Primo and Darren Young were eliminated by Rey Mysterio.  Overall a good start to the show, a bit sloppy at times, but decent action, and a good pace to set for the rest of the show.

Next match was Divas title and it was Kaitlyn vs. Eve (c)
Pretty good for a Divas match, Kaitlyn is a lot more physical than the typical Diva, and that physicality kept things interesting.  Eve retains, and if they want to match these two up again at the next show, I'd be cool with it.

US title match Antonio Cesaro (c) vs. R-Truth
Loving Cesaro's run with the US title, great at getting foreigner heat, and his gimmick of being a former rugby player kicked out for violence really works.  Pretty good match, decent pacing and action, Cesaro retains vowing an American won't beat him for the title.

Painfully bad segment between AJ and Vickie Guerrero, I really couldn't care less about the "scandal" storyline.  Only good thing was Tamina Snuka making her return, looking forward to an actual feud between AJ and Tamina, they are both young and talented and should be fun to watch.

After that was the World Heavyweight Championship match between Big Show (c) and Shaemus. Good match, but the ref-bump DQ finish I thought was kinda stupid, oh well given Shaemus' reaction after the match, its gonna be a chairs match at TLC.

Next is the Survivor Series match between Team Ziggler (Alberto Del Rio, Damien Sandow (my guy, probably the future of the WWE) David Otunga (had a great promo for TLC) Wade Barrett, and Dolph Ziggler) and Team Foley (Kane and Daniel Bryan (my guy as well) Kofi Kingston, the Miz, and Randy Orton)  Damien Sandow is first out after trying to leave the match early, eliminated by Kane who upon arguing with Daniel Bryan is elimnated by Dolph Ziggler.  David Otunga taps out to Daniel Bryan's No! Lock, Kofi Kingston gets knocked out by Wade Barrett, Daniel Bryan taps out to a Cross Arm Breaker by Alberto Del Rio.  Wade Barrett is eliminated by the Miz who is in turn eliminated by Alberto Del Rio, who gets eliminated by Randy Orton, who in a thrilling finish is eliminated by Dolph Ziggler.  Exciting match, loved seeing Ziggler pick up a clean win in a big match, would love to see the storylines coming out of this match.

Main Event Triple Threat match for the WWE Championship  John Cena vs. CM Punk (c) vs. Ryback
Great match with superb timing and action, all three played their parts well, Ryback-unstoppable monster, CM Punk-cowardly yet cunning heel, and Cena-Superman.  High points, CM Punk hitting the Macho Man elbow drop on Cena and Ryback while Cena had an STF locked in on Ryback, Punk and Cena teaming up to put Ryback through an announce table, and a chase sequence around the ring that would have been better with Benny Hill music.  The finish of the match had Ryback destroying Cena and Punk and before he could go for a pin, three security guys run into the ring and jump Ryback putting him through the Spanish Announce Table, giving Punk a chance to cover Cena for a three count and the win, Punk retains, and is now the WWE champion for one full year.  Turns out the three security guards were in actuality three rising stars from          NXT including Seth Rollins (current NXT champion), Dean Ambrose (internet darling) and Roman Reigns (former NFL player related to the Rock somehow) early speculation would be for a stable under CM Punk to help keep the title on him until the Royal Rumble where presumably the Rock wins it off him.

I thought this PPV was fantastic, with good matches and a great finish, can't wait for Raw to see what the aftermath will be.

No comments: