Thursday, September 25, 2008

comic book night

Just got back from Comic Book Night which is every last Thursday night of every month at 7:00 at Monkey Works (local comics shop). It was Adam's turn and he chose to talk about Runaways. He gave a rundown of the story so far and the character relationships to each other and the outside world. It was pretty good and he kept it interesting, but it is set in the Marvel Universe, and I don't care too much for Marvel. Next time is going to be Travis or Joel, and I'm interested in what they'll come up with. I also am looking forward to when my turn comes again. My last turn I reviewed Booster Gold, and by the time my next turn comes along I hope to be able to review any of the crisis or maybe Seven Soldiers of Victory, or if I get it by then, I could review Watchmen, but right now I feel like reviewing Checkmate. I think I could at least get some of my friends to give the DCU a chance and not keep giving me shit for being a DC fanboy. (most of my friends that are into comics are Marvelites and think that DC has nothing to offer) No matter what I try, nobody wants to even give DC a shot.

I have nothing against Marvel and its fans, I just don't find it that entertaining or involving, and the stories are "too real" and detract from the entertainment value. I buy comics to read stories about intrigue, the fight between good and evil, and those who straddle the line and transcend all classification. Marvel tends to stick to the mundane and the boring, such as broken families, drinking problems, and seems to exist in a world devoid of Wit and Humor. I know that the world isn't sunshine and lollipops, but that is no excuse to all but eliminate comic relief. the DCU has gone through just as much, if not more, shit as the Marvel universe, but the DC manages to keep its feeling of not being depressing. I don't tend to spend money to be depressed, and Marvel is a complete downer. I can generally be depressed for free.

This is going longer than I intended, so I will pick back up tomorrow.

-Tiggerpete-

No comments: